Share, won’t you? I’ve been on the receiving end of some really funky notes lately. It got me thinking about the weirdest reactions to my writing in general, or my books in particular. So, here’s my list of odd questions and comments. Please add your own.
1. Regarding Mayan Nights: I’m going to Mexico, where can I meet the archaeologists in your story.
2. Regarding The Biggest Kahuna: a reviewer complained about the forced sex scene (there isn’t one).
3. Today’s lovely question: How the hell did you get so high in the Predators & Editors poll? Answer: I have no clue (although a suspicion), it makes no sense to me either, but that’s a very rude question–bitch about me to someone who ISN’T me!
4. I really enjoyed your xyz book. These are invariably Cynnara Tregarth’s stories. Our names aren’t even close, although we are.
5. Also today: How did you get Deidre Knight as your agent? When I do, I’ll tell you how I did it.
6. I don’t like that a gay guy is the villian in your Lords of Ch’i. I don’t even know how to answer that one.
7. I don’t like the gay Jamaican guy in Princes of Anfall and The Ghosts of Key West (yes, he appears in both). I guess the writer meant he’s too flamboyant? I was in Key West, and this is based on a real landlord I had when I was there. So phooey on yooey.
8. Someone went out of their way to tell me they didn’t like a book. Okay, I don’t watch 24. Am I writing Keifer?
9. I don’t like your photo. Swear to God, I got that.
10. Your Wizard of Time is a rip-off of Harry Potter. Hmmn, I haven’t read a Harry Potter book. I guess I’m just psychic.
11. I think you write those Madam Philomena predictions. Okay, so that makes YOU psychic.
12. I heard you left Triskelion after a fight at RT. I’ve never been to RT.
13. I heard you left Triskelion because of their contract changes. It changed after I started writing elsewhere.
14. I’m tired of you talking about yourself on your blog and yahoo group. Okie dokie.
Share–come on, I know you can do better than this.